The Undergraduate Health Science Enrichment Program (UHSEP) is a six-week academically rigorous, residential program at the University of New Mexico (UNM) Health Sciences Center (HSC) that provides an academic learning environment for entering college freshman who are interested in a career as a health care professional. UHSEP was designed to meet the needs of New Mexico by educating youth to become competitive applicants to enter health professional schools. The program will challenge students with a rigorous curriculum in academic, social, and developmental support. UHSEP students are expected to approach the experience with a commitment toward scholarship and career exploration.
The UHSEP begins on June 16th and ends on July 25th, 2014. Mandatory orientation and dorm check-in has been scheduled for June 14th, 2013. Application deadline has been extended to 5:00PM June 6, 2014, May, 2014.
What does UHSEP offer?
- Over 100 hours of math, science, and language instruction
- Individual tutoring to support instruction
- Presentations from UNM Health Science Center and community health professionals
- Clinical experience
- Ride-along with Albuquerque Fire Department
- First Response instruction
- College preparation
- Research project
- Service Learning
- Tours of the health care teaching facilities at the UNM Health Science Center
- Housing at the UNM Main Campus Dorms
- Cultural competency training
- Commit to the full six-week program plus one-day orientation and are required to live on the UNM campus
- Participants may not bring their own vehicles
- Comply with campus policies regarding conduct, academic honesty, and lawful behavior
- Upon acceptance into UHSEP, participants must to submit proof of their post-secondary college acceptance and immunization records with current TB test
- UHSEP was designed to meet the needs of New Mexico by educating and inspiring our incoming college freshman to pursue a career in the health field in our state. In order to meet this goal, the Office of Diversity would like remain in contact with our participants beyond our summer program.
- New Mexico Resident
- Interested in pursuing a health career
- Minimum GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale
- Current seniors/Recent high school graduate/GED recipients entering post-secondary college
Questions regarding the application or program details can be directed to email@example.com or by calling toll free 1-866-494-0064 or 505-272-2728.